Here are my eight tasks–with my priority
Collaborative, responsive, regional, transparent Politics
This is over-riding. I am appalled to see how difficult it is even to figure out how the CRD works, let alone to have a voice.
2. Voting 2018
Get this up to 50% turnout. A measureable goal.
With a BIG turnout of U-40’s.
- No P3
- Green–that is more linkages but fewer cars with a single passenger
- bottom up planning
5. Real Sustainability
- No more Leonard crap about planting a few trees and buying a few electrics cars getting us anywhere.
- Municipal purchase and management of island forests as we move Saanich households away from fossil fuels and towards a neutral carbon footprint
- Huge task–a single tree offsets only 48 lbs of CO2. A Saanich family is responsbile for about 40 tons of CO2 per annum
- Green Funds for non-fossil power from individuals, investors and municipal tax base
- rethink of the tree bylaw to make it incentive-driven: tax credits for carbon storage above some minimum requirement
6. Farms and urban containment
- Just keeping the boundary where it lies now is essential, but inadequate
- We need that land growing food
- Which means municipal/trust ownership of land and
- tax rebates to real farmers rather than low taxes for rich people to ride their horses around
7. Reform of the CRD
- Which means figuring out how it works and
- how we can move control to people who believe in CRRTP
8. Active Participation by voters –year round not once every 4 years
- Support for SCAN and the resident associations
- real roles for advisory boards
- video of council meetings
- town halls–regular and informativ